Latex mattresses are not inherently toxic but are vulnerable to off-gassing.
What Is Off-Gassing?
Off-gassing is the release of gases from a product that can potentially cause a reaction with your body. For example, if you breathe in vapours of latex and an allergic reaction occurs, the latex could potentially trigger a serious response. Most latex mattresses do not off-gas as they use natural latex as their core material. However, some manufacturers use synthetic latex (which is a latex substitute) in the filling of their mattress.
Since synthetic latex mattresses are not manufactured with natural latex, these mattresses have a greater chance of off-gassing. The potential for off-gassing varies between latex products; however, there is no known safe level of exposure. If you have a latex allergy or asthma, it’s wise to avoid all latex products. However, if you are considering a latex mattress, be sure to look at the material used and find one that is made with natural latex.
- 1 Why Are Mattresses Vulnerable to Off-Gassing?
- 2 What is Natural Latex? Is it Toxic?
- 3 What About the Environmental Impact?
- 4 Best Latex Mattress Brands
- 4.1 Saatva Latex Hybrid Mattress
- 4.2 GhostBed Mattress
- 4.3 WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress
- 4.4 Awara Mattress
- 4.5 Zenhaven Mattress
- 4.6 EcoSleep Hybrid Mattress
- 4.7 Avocado Green Mattress
- 4.8 Dreamfoam Elements Latex Mattress
- 4.9 Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress
- 4.10 Birch Mattress
- 5 Are Latex Mattresses Good for Heavier Sleepers?
- 6 The Benefits Of Latex Mattresses
- 7 What To Look For In A Latex Mattress
- 8 Frequently Answered Questions
- 8.0.1 What are the advantages of mattresses made from latex?
- 8.0.2 Which is better? Memory foam mattresses or latex?
- 8.0.3 How long will the mattress of a latex manufacturer last?
- 8.0.4 Why are mattresses made of latex so costly?
- 8.0.5 Do mattresses made of latex sleep hot?
- 8.0.6 The type of foundation you require for a mattress made of latex?
- 8.0.7 Are mattresses made of latex good for back pain?
- 8.0.8 Do mattresses made from latex gas off-gas?
Why Are Mattresses Vulnerable to Off-Gassing?
Mattresses are composed of numerous layers and materials, such as cotton or synthetic materials, which make them highly porous.
When these materials come into contact with other substances, they can release a substance called a volatile organic compound (VOC).
The VOCs are harmful to your health, even if you’re not directly exposed to them.
VOCs are typically found in products such as household cleaning products, paint, and carpeting. Because they’re found in many products, people are at risk of exposure to them.
What is Natural Latex? Is it Toxic?
Natural latex is popular in the mattress industry, but it’s also used to make upholstered furniture, including sofas, loveseats, and armchairs. It’s a unique natural material made from the sap of the tropical Hevea brasiliensis tree. Yes. I’m not exaggerating. It has all these chemicals. We don’t even know what it’s going to do to us.
If you want a mattress that is both comfortable and eco-friendly, opt for a natural latex mattress. They are safe and sustainable and are the preferred option over memory foam or polyurethane mattresses.
For example, you might find that your skin doesn’t break out when you sleep on a natural latex mattress or sofa. Natural latex is also highly resilient, soft, and breathable, which makes it great for making furniture. It has the same chemical composition as human skin, and is virtually indestructible. But natural latex is naturally expensive, so manufacturers have tried to make cheaper alternatives. These alternatives include a variety of synthetic latexes, most of which are petroleum-based.
For the same reason, it’s common for manufacturers to use synthetic latex in the filling of their mattress. While these synthetic latex mattresses may be cheaper than natural latex, they can still cause health issues if you are allergic to the synthetic material.
Since the mattresses are filled with an entirely different material, there’s no way to tell whether they are safe or not. Latex mattresses are not inherently toxic but are vulnerable to off-gassing. Natural latex is made from sap (a substance that comes from a tree), and this sap is typically extracted by cutting off the top of a rubber tree and boiling it down. Because of this, natural latex contains high levels of chemicals, some of which are cancer-causing.
While latex allergy symptoms tend to affect the skin, natural latex can also have a negative effect on other parts of the body, including the respiratory tract and inner ear. In fact, natural latex products can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and breathing problems.
What About the Environmental Impact?
One of the main reasons why we love our mattresses is that they are recyclable. A lot of mattress manufacturers use foam in their mattresses, which is a petroleum-based product that doesn’t decompose easily.
When mattresses go to landfill, the foam gets compressed, and this can have an adverse effect on the environment. A good quality mattress is a comfortable one, but there are different types of mattress on the market and it’s important to understand the difference.
So, which is the best mattress for you?
Read on to find out.
A latex mattress will be the most comfortable and supportive mattress that you can purchase. However, it’s important to note that natural latex is not inherently toxic, so it’s unlikely that you’ll suffer any ill effects from your bed.
Best Latex Mattress Brands
The best latex mattresses are:
- Saatva Latex Hybrid
- WinkBeds EcoCloud
- Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Hybrid
- Avocado Green
- Dreamfoam Elements
- Brentwood Home Cedar
- Birch by Helix
Saatva Latex Hybrid Mattress
Many people are looking for an extra lavish mattress. Perhaps they like the feeling and appearance of a mattress from a hotel or are looking for some sort of thing to impress their acquaintances. Whatever the reason is, it is the Saatva Latex Hybrid mattress should be top of the list because it is made of premium products like organic wool, organic cotton, Talalay latex, and individually wrapped coils.
What is it that makes The Saatva Latex Hybrid Stand Out?
- The mattress comes with a pillow-top design and feel that is soft and cozy. This will provide great tension relief for those who sleep sideways and people who are back asleep.
- The mattress is also comfortable and robust. The bed’s coils and latex are capable to take on heavier loads, and even some stomach sleepers might be able to have enough support.
- It is made of extremely breathable materials and is the ideal more comfortable mattress for sleeping.
The GhostBed is only mattress in this list that doesn’t have natural latex. It’s actually a fake latex with just a tiny touch of that bounce. The material is cheaper than genuine latex, which makes it the GhostBed among the most affordable mattresses available. If you’re looking for the latex bounce but you don’t need to spend a lot of money for it, the GhostBed might be a great alternative.
What is it that makes The GhostBed stand out?
- The GhostBed can be described as an inexpensive mattress that’s among the best value mattresses available.
- The artificial latex foam lies on top of memory foam that is then laid over an underlay of support foam. This creates it more firm than the average and can be a great fit for those who back sleep and stomach-sleepers.
- There shouldn’t be any issues moving about on this mattress, making it ideal for people who sleep in a combination.
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress
The WinkBeds EcoCloud is hybrid mattress which incorporates the thick Talalay latex and pocketed coils into its design. The the latex and coils are each zoned with various levels of firmness in various zones, making it an ideal choice for people who sleep in a combination. You should experience a great support when sleeping on their backs and great pressure relief when sleeping on their sides.
What makes The EcoCloud stand out?
- The combo with Talalay latex and coils is likely to assist the weight of people with additional support requirements.
- It’s the more comfortable mattress.
- The EcoCloud is an top-of-the-line option in this selection due to the fact that when you take high-quality components into consideration the mattress’s price will be quite affordably.
The Awara is a basic structure with a tufted top and 4 inches of Dunlop latex and 9 inches of coils with pockets. This mattress is the most comfortable of these mattresses. This makes it the most natural mattresses made of latex for stomach sleeping. They should feel the appropriate amount of support around their hips and their spine must be aligned in a neutral way while they rest.
What is it that makes The Awara stand out?
- The Dunlop latex used in the production of Dunlop is completely natural and does not contain harmful chemicals.
- It’s extremely helpful and could be an ideal choice for nearly all people who sleep on their stomachs.
- The support provided by latex and coils is an a great combination for more hefty back and stomach sleepers.
The Zenhaven is possibly my most loved mattress made of all latex natural mattress. Although a lot of these mattresses have coils however, the Zenhaven is made up of four layers of pure Talalay latex. Furthermore to that, the Zenhaven is among two mattresses that can be flippable on this list, having the firmer side and an easier side. Its new design is an ideal choice for those who don’t be sure of the level of firmness they’re looking for.
What makes The Zenhaven Different?
- The more firm side is an ideal partner for stomach sleeping who don’t notice their hips sinking while they’re lying down.
- The Soft side of the mattress is an ideal fit for people who are back sleepers and certain side sleepers who like a bit of pushing back from the mattress.
- Natural Talalay latex is 100% organic and is free from harmful chemical which makes it a green mattress.
EcoSleep Hybrid Mattress
The Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Mattress is a fantastic option for anyone who is looking for more support. This hybrid bed made of latex is bolstered with an additional support latex, 6 Ascension coils and an even more firm natural latex. The reason that there’s more of a latex beneath the coils is that the mattress can also be convertible.
What is it that makes The Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Stand Out?
- One aspect that is part of EcoSleep is an middle firmness that is more plush, bouncy, and responsive, and the other is more solid.
- The more firm side is an excellent option for stomach sleeping people who require that additional support to keep their spine in a neutral position. It can also be a good option for overweight people.
- Brooklyn Bedding offers a 120-night trial of their sleep to ensure you feel at ease about making a purchase.
Avocado Green Mattress
The Avocado is an hybrid mattress made of dense layers of natural dunlop and pocketsed support coils. The consumer also has the possibility of installing an optional pillowstop to the mattress which gives a soft, comfortable feeling and more pressure relief. With the Pillow-top Avocado, it’s my preferred Latex mattress for sleeping on the side. Natural dunlop isn’t always the most effective for pressure relief, however the pillow-top is a great choice for alleviating pressure on shoulders and hips.
What makes The Avocado Different?
- The pocketed coils are extremely comfortable and are likely to be able to support more weights.
- The mattress offers a good balance of ease of use and support and is an suitable mattress for any of the three positions for sleeping.
- This mattress is made of all-natural Dunlop latex that’s ethically source and completely free from harmful chemicals which makes it an ecological mattress.
Dreamfoam Elements Latex Mattress
Are you looking for a mattress made of latex which won’t cost a fortune? If yes, then the Dreamfoam Elements may be the ideal choice. It comes with three different levels of firmness and two height choices So there’s something for almost everyone.
What is it that makes The Dreamfoam Elements Stand Out?
- On our scale of firmness medium firm is 6.5/10, which is what is the standard for industry. Of course, if an insomniac and you’re a stomach sleeper, you’ll want the firmer option.
- The comfort layer is made up of the special reflex foam that offers plenty of body contouring pressure relief and provides a classic top-of-the-line. Because it’s made of latex, it feels comfortable and comfortable.
- It’s a great mattress for the price.
Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress
The Cedar is an hybrid mattress with four inches of Dunlop latex and also individual covered support coils. The Cedar also comes with the super comfy quilted cover over the top that provides pressure relief and the feeling of comfort. It’s my top choice for back-sleeping on this list because it’s firm to the average and is in the comfortable zone for those who sleep back. More hefty sleepers may also find this bed comfortable.
What is it that makes The Cedar stand out?
- It is made up of all-natural Dunlop latex that is completely free any harmful substances and is a fantastic alternative to go green.
- The fabric-covered cover and the cushioned layer let your hips to sink to just enough as the coils provide assistance beneath.
- We’ve rated that the Cedar Mattress one of our most comfortable mattress for people who sleep on their backs. It may also be an ideal option for people who are lighter on their side.
Helix has seen tremendous success with its wide assortment of hybrid mattresses. They’ve now thrown their hats into the latex rings. The Birch includes Talalay latex organic wool and coils that are individually wrapped. Customers can also opt of a pillow top, which is a great choice for people who suffer from lower back discomfort and sciatica.
What makes The Birch By Helix Stand Out?
- With the top of the pillow side sleepers will be able to feel a good amount of pressure relief over the shoulder and hips.
- Without the pillow top the Birch is an ideal choice for both sleeping back and sleeping on your stomach. Back sleepers need to feel the right balance between ease and the support they need, and stomach sleepers should have the support they require underneath their hips.
- It is a hybrid of latex and latex The Birch is an excellent choice for those that are concerned about getting too hot at night. The Talalay latex isn’t likely to hold the heat and it’s tall coils ensure the flow of air.
Are Latex Mattresses Good for Heavier Sleepers?
The sensation and use that come with Dunlop latex is designed to ensure that people with larger bodies receive the support they need and the exceptional and flexible nature of the mattress provides the most comfortable, stress-free sleeping experience.
Dunlop latex is comfortable for all body shapes, sizes and conditions.
Furthermore, Dunlop latex is the ideal solution for those who suffer from frequent backaches. The foam filled inner layers and the outer layer of Dunlop latex give a comfortable sleeping experience which is the reason why the Dunlop latex mattress has become very popular among the heavier sleepers.
The Dunlop Latex Mattress is made in Scotland and is known for its high quality and durability. It features a high quality, memory foam filling which offers a firm yet contour-friendly feel to the body.
The Benefits Of Latex Mattresses
There are many reasons for why latex mattresses are increasing and more sought-after, and there have been several new brands entering the market in recent times. These mattresses can provide a variety of advantages that are wide-ranging:
- Durability:Natural mattress made of latex will generally be more durable than poly or memory foam due to of the high density of foams that are used in the construction. Latex foam mattresses should not sag as most foam mattresses tend to do and if you’re looking at your purchase as an investment for the long run investment, this could be an incredible advantage. Be sure to take a look at our top choices for the top mattresses that won’t slide.
- Bouncy: The bounce is more than a preference for each person However, latex mattresses are well-known for having a great bounce in general, making them suitable for sexual activity. It’s simpler to move about in bed or shift sleeping positions.
- Elasticity: The latex material can be compressed at one point without impacting adjacent regions. This lets it to support the body giving the body with support and alleviating pressure points.
- Natural:Memory foam owners often complain of being stuck in their mattress however this isn’t necessarily the situation when using latex. The surface is extremely flexible and it won’t fall into it. But you will still receive an adequate amount in pressure relief.
- Hypoallergenic: The latex is resistant to mildew as well as mold and dust mites. They are allergens in all forms. The open cell structure of latex allows air to circulate through. It also keeps those sleeping dry. When people choose for pure latex they will also feel confident that it wasn’t heated using harmful chemicals.
- Organic: Natural latex foam is the only way for mattresses to be classified as “Green.” Some businesses might claim that their mattresses are eco-friendly however, unless they’re using natural latex, it’s not really going to be the situation. If you want to have a truly green mattress that is made from natural materials, then latex is the best option to choose.
- Sustainable: Latex is derived from rubber trees that produce the same amount of material for as long as 30 years. The trees do not require pesticides or herbicides to flourish, and the bark heals quickly after the serum has been extracted. If the trees are gone the land can be able to be immediately replanted, and natural latex will eventually be degraded.
- Excellent for those who are hot at night: If you overheat in the night, a latex mattress might be a suitable alternative. The mattress is naturally permeable and helps to disperse heat. Even though memory foams are recognized to hold heat but this shouldn’t be a problem when you have a mattress made of latex.
What To Look For In A Latex Mattress
When people take a look at a mattress made of latex, you’ll have to be introduced to an entirely different terminology when compared to other mattresses.
The most important decisions will be about natural vs. synthetic/blend Dunlop vs. Talalay processing, distinctive mattress warranty issues, and density/ILD.
Frequently Answered Questions
What are the advantages of mattresses made from latex?
Latex mattresses are known to be more durable than other mattresses. They’re also extremely breathable making them the perfect choice for those who are hot. They’re also extremely elastic, making it easy to move about the mattress and shift places.
Which is better? Memory foam mattresses or latex?
It all depends on the individual preferences. The memory foam mattress is primarily for tension relief and the body’s contour. Mattresses made of latex are sturdy and air-conditioned, and they can support greater weights.
How long will the mattress of a latex manufacturer last?
A mattress made of latex should last for a longer time, possibly more than 10 years, if it’s all-latex. Latex mattresses are extremely robust overall.
Why are mattresses made of latex so costly?
Natural latex is extremely difficult to locate and it isn’t sourced out of the United States. Due to this, mattresses are likely to need to be priced higher.
Do mattresses made of latex sleep hot?
Latex mattresses are very open-cell foam and are very air-tight. Therefore, the sleepers shouldn’t be too in a hot bed.
The type of foundation you require for a mattress made of latex?
Although many latex mattresses do not requireit but a solid foundation is sure to provide you with the proper center support and ensure that you are elevated from the ground. The wooden slats and some even plywood (such as those found in platforms) can be used in a perfect way but if you go for slats, ensure that each is not more than 8 inches apart. The ideal is for the slats to not be more than 3 inches apart. Whatever foundation you pick, be sure it’s stable and does not sag.
Are mattresses made of latex good for back pain?
While it may differ depending on the individual to individual, latex mattresses tend to be a good choice for people who suffer from back discomfort because of to their firmness and ability to respond. Most latex beds are soft and medium-firm, which means they provide support for the spine and helping to promote a neutral spine alignment.
Do mattresses made from latex gas off-gas?
Off-gassing is a reference to the chemical scent produced by many mattress-in-a-box models after opening them. The smell isn’t harmful and typically disappears once you put the mattress in a space that is ventilated for up to 48 hours.
If a mattress is made of 100 percent naturally latex, then it won’t emit any off-gassing smells. If it’s made of synthetic latex or different synthetic substances, there is an opportunity that you may notice the presence of off-gassing.